Thursday 6 December 2012

22. Challenges

Tis the job to be jolly

A good thing about being a teacher is there are hundreds of individuals accomplishments you achieve in a day. A kid says a word correctly, someone understands a meaning, a game goes down well and just finishing your lesson with everything and everyone in tact is a reason to high five the janitor.

There are plenty of times to be jolly.

However, there is no reason why this can't be spread to the whole day and to occasions outside the classroom. By setting myself a host of little challenges to complete, like getting to the traffic crossing before it has counted down to the red man or getting on the last metro home, I genuinely feel better about myself.


The Yili Road Race


I finish my morning commute at Yili road station on a Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Its a while out of town but it is a busy station due to the high number of financial buildings in the area. 

As mentioned before in a blog, there is a morning scrum for the escalators as around 500 commuters rush off the train.

I gave myself the challenge to be the first person out of the station, and this Wednesday the paths were aligned for me to give it my best shot yet.

The preparation for this challenge starts in Honqiao station, the station where you change. The positioning of yourself in the new train's body is crucial to your hopes.

I arrived just as a train was leaving. The sight that usually leaves a sour taste in your mouth gave me more of a bittersweet symphony. 

I had first dibs and took full advantage planting myself in the cranny by the door. The tide of commuters did stem my advantageous position a little as one Chinese business woman stood closer to the door than me.

It was two stops to Yili Road. Music pumping I was ready to burst out the doors like a greyhound. Thankfully this was made easier by the Chinese lady standing clear, she despite dressing business like was not getting of at the business stop Yili Road.

We rolled into the station. The side door was not the one straight opposite the escalator. Cursing my amateur behavior, I prepared for exit with a lot to do.

The flashing light. And I was gone. Walking to the escalator (as running is gimpish behaviour),  I had to navigate a path between the people coming out of the 3 doors between me and the escalator. The commuters pile out so I had to bring back my side stepping repertoire from the Derwent Rugby title winning season. Left, right, right again, then left to slide into the handrail cordon of the escalator. I had got to it fourth.Not bad, however there was still more to come.

A quick 180 degree turn as you reach the top, saw me come up to third place as a woman went to get a newspaper, amateur. Two men infront, one elderly, one business like.

The exit gates compromise of the turnstile and the disability opening gate. You have to have your 'Oyster' style metro card at the ready, plant it on the booth to initiate the opening or turning process.

I chose the gate which opens up, the sequence was quicker. My card placing was sharp and effective, I was up to second.

It was then a foot race, the elderly man left behind. The final escalator out of this station in sight it was just me and the business man. Lengthening my strides, I had come from a bigger angle as the disability gate was further away, so I cut in. 

The man knew it, he was beat. I had done it. I entered the bright morning sunshine first out of the blocks. This is going to be one ass-kicking day. Challenge completed.

...

Moments later, I got caught at the traffic lights crossing with the 500 other commuters.


Challenges in Shanghai

I've listed a number of challenges for myself to try and achieve before I leave Shanghai. They'll most probably be added to over the course of the year, and hopefully one or two of them will be crossed off as well. If you have any you think I should try and do get in touch via wesselyoliver@gmail.com

1. Eat a bowl of stinky tofu.

As before mentioned this stuff smells and apparently tastes horrendous as well.

2. Climb up the Oriental TV Tower, via the stairs. 

This was going to be my apartment building until recently I heard of this 'race' to climb up Shanghai's most recognizable building. Try-outs are on the 22 December and the real thing is on New Years Day to signal the coming of a new year.


I think I might die

3. Have a street conversation in Mandurin.

I'm beginning to talk it, but trying to listen to what people are saying is hard.

4. Get a seat in rush-hour

Shanghai doesn't seem to busy at times. That is until you come across rush-hour 8-9 or worse 5:30-7 you will find the metro absolutely crammed. So getting a seat let alone enough breathing space is practically impossible.

5. Lesson plan in 5 minutes

This is the dream.

6. Gangnam style on the Bund

Its the done thing.

7. Give an 100 yuan to a street beggar.

Lets balance this divide!

8. Start a sticker campaign

Get stickers all around with a simple message. It could cause quite a stur.

9. Cycle to the Bund and back

I need a bike first though.

10. Get a pimp daddy tailored suit

Pay day is coming up.


If there are any more ideas on challenges, please let me know.









No comments:

Post a Comment