Monday 14 January 2013

32. My favourite bar so far..

Necessary buys

There are some things where I feel you can budget on when living aboard. 

Food and drink. Both you have a lot of the time but they can fluctuate unjustifiably in price for sometimes a similar product.

The cost between a takeaway and eating in, a pint in two different bars, street food and restaurant food. We're talking a couple of £-which really adds up after a while.

The price for this convenience is hiked up in Shanghai because the average Westerner may be working on a decent wage so does not mind paying £4 for a pint.

So I've been on the look-out for cheaper but just as decent alternatives.

A B and C bar

There is certainly a business opportunity where I live in Shanghai for a bar to be built. Zhongtan Lu and the surrounding complex is probably the home to 100,000 people. But the only watering hole is the Suzhou creek which passes through the vast apartment blocks that overlook it.

That's why I was surprised to hear from a one-time colleague at my school that Zhongtan where he lived as well did have a local, a place called  B and C or the Granyard Cafe. I wrote down the address and only this past week-end took my bike to find the place. 

I'm not sure how this guy could classify it as a local as the place was 2 stops and a change from Zhongtan Lu. It took 20 minutes to find, but my what a find. 

Unbeknown to me I'd already been to the Granyard Cafe, to watch Jose Fonte score two to draw with Fulham back in October. That was a more Western orientated bar and was again convenience all over. A good place to watch the premier league no doubt but not where you want to bide away your time.

B and C on the other hand is fantastic. Upon arrival you are greeted warmly by the bar staff. Of course this is merely an act of good business-like behaviour. The first time I went I was greeted with a handshake from Candy the manager, the second time with a friend I got the full on hug from Angel the other bartender who had helped me with my Chinese on the first time.

Besides the friendly bar staff, the bar has everything in my mind. Cheap beer, we're talking 15 yuan between 4 and 9, an array of interesting foreigners sit by the bar eating peanuts, tomatoes and sesame snacks from it. Last night I was having chats with 2 Icelandic and an Aussie who were explaining their Old English view on our language and then explained why it wasn't all so great to create video games as a job after all. Then there was a guy who made bikes for a living.

The sofas are worn down but still comfy. There is a nice light.

It is games galore. Tons of board games including a 3D Connect 4. Darts. In fact a whole darts room. 

Most crucially an epic table football table which under the lights I made a bit of a name for myself. Currently undefeated having played against the bar staff and other travelers, I've found my calling.

There is a tournament on Thursday. Yesterday I recruited a partner for it and admittedly we went into a night of training on different tables.

Walking home

 I lived with Jack Luckett in my first year in York. I remember him telling me how the walk home was sometimes the best bit of a night as you get to know someone and it was last night that I totally agreed with this statement.

The magic about a night walk home is that you are the only one on the streets. You seem to have a very clear mind and thinking is very easy. You get to see a different side of the city. The walk de-stresses you somewhat. The city is more peaceful and you grow to love it a bit more because of it. A lot of emotions seems to run through you as you tend to notice actually where you are for those moments.

The Zhongtan Lu complex upon arrival into it, is quite a spectacular sight. The odd light on in each apartment block keeps the buildings alive through lots of different amber glows.

Taxi's are cheap here but the convenience like I said before is becoming weirdly less appealing the longer I live here.

Shanghai from what I've heard and seen does not give the impression of a dangerous city. I think it must be one of the few cities in the world where you can walk home at 2 am and feel relatively safe.

So why rush home to bed? Elongate your night by a few more minutes and enjoy this wondrous free gift of watching a city sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment