Thursday 28 February 2013

36. When Jessica came to stay..


I’ve been quite bad recently with writing posts about my time here in Shanghai. I put it down to a busy schedule, my new TV addiction: The Wire and generally feeling more settled in this crazy city. 


One person who went some way to making me feel more settled was my sister, Jessica!


Yes, the big sister (Chinese: jiejie) came over for the Chinese New Year bonanza and her enthusiasm in her week’s stay with me rubbed off somewhat.

She wouldn’t leave a corner of this city untouched in what was from her arrival on 8th February to her far too swift departure on the 16th a hugely productive holiday.

I've compiled a list of the places gone which for me made the trip most memorable.

There are a few notable absentees like the Bund, Yu Yuan Gardens, the Maglev, Grandma’s restaurant kitchen, Qibao ancient town, the hotel we stayed at in Suzhou, Tiger Hill, the giant PADOGA, Bonsei tree formations, the Shanghai Museum, Bar Rouge NYE party, trying Stinky Tofu, Purple Mountain and even drinking cocktails on the 88th floor of Jin Mao tower at sunset on NYE!

Here are the 5 top things were discovered in Jessica's time here.

5. TIANZIFANG
 
Marked by just a door symbol on the map. It is actually a really small district territory near Dapuqiao on Line 9 woven with intimate streets that have appealing shops waiting to be perused.
The district fits into like a New York style block and there are entrances in and out. You can get lost in there, and you would not mind it.

It is a great place for a lazy afternoon. We visited it on New Years day having visited the Ancient towns of Sijing and Qibao in the morning.

I bought some great postcards and a leather bound book.




4. WEST NANJING FAKE MARKET

Admittedly I’d been to a fake market before in Pudong, but the quality products in this particular one would take some beating from any fake market in the world.
I don’t think I should say what Jessica bought as no doubt they were given as presents upon her arrival back in the UK however what I can say is that the recipients would not have been able to tell the difference such was the quality.
A bit of haggling is also a lot of fun, especially now I know a few words.


 


3. NANJING MASSACRE MUSEUM

I remember the Natural History Museum as a child in London. The dinosaurs displayed outside would rev you up for what you were about to see.
This museum likewise had statues, the most emotionally provocative statues I have ever experienced. It set the tone for the museum that was expertly done. Simply shocking and insightful in equal measure, but you left with a feeling of hope in peace for the future. It was really good and free also.






2. AJISEN RAMEN

Yes. Food was one of the main focus points of the trips. This restaurant for me took the bacon by a mile. Hungry, we’d been searching for one for a while in Nanjing when I noticed the trademark girl. We went inside and I was blown away. Japanese food rocks!

It was essentially bowls of beautiful soup with meat, eggs in. You had a big wooden spoon to eat from and cheap Japanese beer to wash it down. Thankfully it’s a chain and there are 132 restaurants of the same kind in Shanghai.





  1. SHANGHAI CIRCUS WORLD (ERA)

Wow. I’ll ever think of the circus in the same light again. Managed to get two tickets to this daily show and it was incredible. Acrobatics of the highest order. The performance was clean, hugely impressive but also quite beautiful. The colours, music and the routine all worked amazingly together to elevate it even further above any circus production. Truly extraordinary and by far the best thing I’ve seen in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment