Monday 4 March 2013

39. A change in season


'Spring is coming.'



The weather fluctuation in this city is simply extraordinary. No more than 10 days ago the temperature was 1-3 degrees in the day and below freezing in the night. It’s now a majestic 18.

I was caught off guard somewhat by the sun on Saturday whilst playing rugby outside. The following day therefore my cheeks were somewhat rosier for my inside classes.

My school on a Monday, YAH, is my favourite I teach at by a country mile. The staff and the students are both great.

I was chatting with the liaison and she uttered the words ‘Spring is here and the students are happy’. Happy students mean easier to control lessons, which means you leave the school feeling good.

The school looked quite magnificent in the late afternoon sun so I took a picture of it.


Yan An Senior School



She’s perfect but…



On my way home I got thinking about games.  The students are good yes but how to get them talking more, or even better, debating!

The idea popped into my head of ‘Would you rather’. How could I incorporate this game into lessons?
I then had virtual divine inspiration. I am the impartial judge. I announce the ‘Would you rather’ question. For example ‘Would you rather have no legs or no arms?’

The students then vote. But anonymously by putting their head on to the desk and raising their arms. Votes are counted by I the impartial judge.

Then without telling anyone who won I ask a few members who chose either option to cite their reasons why they chose that option.

Now in my mind I know which choice was the more popular and the popular choice will always win. But the decision can be overturned if the less popular decision is given a better explanation for by a member from the losing side. This is the debating bit.

The game is played probably on a time limit or students are eliminated if their choice loses.
This then stemmed out. Maybe I could introduce ‘ The compliment game’ famously played on the Doxbridge tour 2010, or the ‘ She’s perfect but….’ Callum Douglas innocuous  drinking game. This could work.

If you know of any other drinking games let me know. I think through this anonymous voting and debating, this system can work for all drinking games.


Human Rivers


I must say the winter season has not been too bad. But for the odd day when the school chose to not put the heating on, its been fine. My jacket has been devoutly worn through out. I’ve got to sleep easily as it hasn’t been too hot. I have barely broken sweat.

Spring's coming means that Summer is  just round the corner and from accounts I've heard it sounds like Shanghai is one big sweat box which I am not looking forward to.

One area that I think will really heat up is the underground. Not necessarily the trains where I’ve heard its kept cool by air conditioners, but the walking in between the platforms. The number of moving bodies is quite extraordinary sometimes.

Someone who studies river will no doubt see certain correlations between them and the Shanghai underground.

The real whirlpool is Peoples Square station. Below is a picture which can possibly go some way to enforcing the fact that you do not swim/walk against a current! 



Human Whirlpool

Receiving letters

Is great.

Thank-you to Grandpa, Granny and a certain Aussie!



No comments:

Post a Comment