Friday 19 April 2013

44. School Life: 1984


A Warm Welcome


I’ve scrapped the extra metro change to Yili Road recently, instead taking the bus from Hongqiao Lu. If the bus arrives on time, it cuts about 15 minutes off my journey and saves the walk as well.

Therefore yesterday I arrived to school almost 40 minutes early. It was so worthwhile as well.

As I approached the school ‘gates’ (basically, a sliding barrier) I heard a cry run out.
‘Attention!’.

I walked through the gates to a small corridor of primary school students.

In unison they belted out ‘ Good morning Teacher’

I a little flustered replied ‘Good Morning’ as they bowed.

Felt like an absolute champion!






1984


I’ve spotted George Orwell’s novel in the hands of two students now. One where the book was translated into Chinese and another where it kept its original text.

It would be interesting to see if any of the book about a suppressed nation is edited. It would be rather apt.

These sightings followed a week after Housemate Sean, Zoe and I went on a TIMEOUT SHANGHAI walk titled ‘Hidden French Concession’.

Our first stop was a hidden away café called 1984. It earned the name as they had literally every different published copy of the book on one shelf.




We continued on the walk after a coffee and came to a Poster Propaganda museum, situated in the basement of a random set of flats. The posters were quite striking portraying the Chinese as strong men benefiting from Mao’s changes of the 1950-1970’s. In some instances the English person was portrayed as a snivelling weed. I haven’t seen such propaganda pictures since Source work of Punch comics in school History classes.


Exam time


Students are getting quite anxious for the upcoming mid-term test. Examinations are a big deal in China, probably more so than in any other country in the world.
Hard academic work is a built in ethos of which the culmination is GaoKao.
GaoKao has been said to be the most stringent of tests. The two days that it falls on grip the nation as roads are cordoned off as the students take these exams which many believe decides the path of their life.

I’ve read most of the final year is simply just one big cramming session for these exams which bleeds the students of any creative juices.

As I write this a middle school student is reciting this passage about a ‘Farmer who lives in a hut’. Her teacher, one of my colleagues in this school, is holding the book. What the hell is being tested here. Test of memory more than anything else.


Anyway I have my own test tomorrow. HSK Level 1 baby. As per usual I will be doing my last minute cramming on the train to the exam. As tonight Game of Thrones has my undivided attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment