Saturday 20 July 2013

51. Guanxi Golf




Sitting down on the train today I noticed sweat marks on the knee-caps of my trousers.

It’s that time of the year where the coldest setting on the shower is deemed too warm, the extra cool subway train are now a safe-haven and having black bed sheets is a perfect solace.

So I am now back from a quite extraordinary 3 week trip to Nepal, where my brother, father and I trekked through a desert-like region called Upper Mustang in the Himalayas.

My schedule is certainly not as hectic at the moment, allowing me to apply for a position as a part time tennis coach. But also to take up a parents offer to play in a golf tournament!


Guanxi

It is said that Chinese business runs on this thing called Guanxi. I see it as under hand dealings which benefit people in your personal network. Lavish gifts are given to seniors to earn their notice, while companies bosses will take their staff to special KTV to keep them humming.

Broken down the characters of ‘guanxi’ mean relationships and connections. But it’s cultural significance has a huge implication in one of China’s premier business cities, Shanghai. It seems like a nice thank-you letter just won’t do if you want to keep that contact.

Roy, one of my privates Dad, recently invited me to one of his Member Invitational Golf Tournament. It was one of the best days I’ve had here.

Without going into too much detail, everything was too good to be true. From a bus filled with promo women, a driving range that looked out onto a vast lake, to clear blue skies and hot weather, to finding out Phil Mickelson was the course designer, to having your own caddie and driving your own buggy, Spaghetti Carbonara that was done well, showers were all types of shampoo, free towels and a ‘banquet’ to conclude the day.




Looking round at the banquet it was clear to see from players wives, the response of members who won awards and just the general attire that there were some seriously wealthy people in that hall.

Roy wasn’t at the golf tournament but I’ll be sending a thank-you letter in the post. The British way I feel.



However Wednesday night saw me act as the giver as Sean and I went out with our Welfare officer, Alex, who has been an absolute gent since our arrival. We paid for his whole night as a gesture of thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment