Sunday 21 October 2012

Blog Post Number 2

21 October 2012.


Obligatory picture of the Bund. Its quite a sight yet I've only experienced in once since arriving here

Today I was invited to come and stay at my welfare officer's house over Spring Festival. Alex, the Welfare officer, is a true gent who has sorted my bank account, apartment, he seems to get on with anyone he meets here. So it came as quite a surprise when he proposed I come. His town is 20 hours from Shanghai, and although a long way off I feel quite chuffed at his gesture.
Spring Festival is the biggest celebration in China. The start of the year is the most important I'm told. It is due to happen in January/February time.


I was in the Changning language school today. It was my second week teaching my three weekly classes. I've had to teach review sessions so far to the kids, as i've been drafted in as a replacement teacher till their semester ends and we start a new course. I'm looking forward to the new course so that I cn have a better idea of where the children are at and what actually needs reviewing!
The older kids had their end of year test today, it was quite fun being in the role of the invigilator, I could not help myself and help them out on the difficult question, to be fair the question was troubling me so me working it out was more for my peace of mind than theirs. Its also taking a while to getting used to being on the other side of the classroom, but I'm settling in well jsut need to lower my TeacherTlkingTime.

Visited a Tesco Express which had a great range of stuff. I also saw that Skrillex is playing in Shanghai next month- so expensive though, we're talking a weeks budget potentially at 480 rmb and that's an advance ticket. I'm keen for showing an old friend around though on Thursday for Halloween.

Western luxuries are pretty expensive here. And unfortunately beer is considered a luxury here. So you have to catch bars in their happy hour to keep your costs down.

Wore my shirts from the fake market in Science and Technology Park. They are real good quality, they were an absolute steal at the price I got them at. I feel almost guilty that I got them down to so low due to my low expectation of what i was paying for.

Talked to the family on skype. Mum was keen to ask about my health. She was right though, bad health and you can't go to work and life in Shanghai grinds to a standstill. She also recommended to keep in touch with the community (go out more), keep your moral code (don't lower yourself to barging on to metro's) and aspirations. This city is full of aspiring people though I think or at least the opportunities for those people.

TO DO LIST: Clean the flat. Go out on Thursday and Friday. Catchup with lesson plans it looks like I'm going to be winging it tomorrow!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment