Monday 22 October 2012

No 3: Food

Ni hao.

I'm lucky I have no qualms about eating things out of the ordinary to Western people. Of course the first two weeks have seen me try and avoid meat which has ended in me having loads of eggs. But now I've been here 2 weeks I feel my body has adjusted so why not lets try some new things!

So the Chinese method with cooking it seems is to just use every last ounce of the animal. They display the whole animal when you buy it in the supermarket so I can imagine that they would not like to see anything go to waste.

As I work in schools I get to try out the lunches and sometimes the breakfasts they provide. One funny thing which I benefit from is that the man is awarded with a larger portion of food to the woman staff member. Another strange concept is that all the children eat in the classroom which is a bit messy in my books. So Chinese school food. Well most meals although not the same, keep the same formula, a large sticky rice block, a wettish cabbage like veg, then the spicy/BBQ flavoured meat which you have to pick off the bone, this is washed down by soup where you will always find something floating in it, today I had seaweed in my soup, so it was basically like drinking seawater.



I like chopsticks also. It makes eating a skill in a way and the food a lot tastier when you pick it off them rather than off a fork. I think this is because the way you put the utensil into your mouth but I have no scientific proof of this.

Lastly I have bought a wok, essential I feel and have got cooking in my apartment. As we have hobs only, everything rather unhealthily is boiled or fried. Here is something I chucked up. It really is my standard Uni chuck anything in then add eggs meal.



Here is an odd mushroom.


Set of cooking attire.



No comments:

Post a Comment