Friday 16 November 2012

15. The flat

I remember a bit from Johnny English where he is asked if he wanted to save the world or stay coupe'd up in his flat. He replied with the flat.

I don't blame him. The flat acts as a humble abode high above the hustle and bustle on the streets.

Here in Shanghai, I can sit pretty in my bed garments knowing that no rogue, street level passer-by will catch a glance through our window. It is truly relaxing.

After a long hard week I stayed in the flat the whole day yesterday. In the same clothes, the same clothes I am still wearing, I think its been 36 hours since last taking them off. This is possibly a personal best, and the funny thing is I was thinking of chucking these passed up (not down as from younger brother) pyjama bottoms.

To some this is natural, but I must inform people that this couch living is not really something I have partaken in ever before. Alas I have experienced it and perhaps dabbled myself, I dearly remember the line up of House and Jeremy Kyle being a morning call in early third year Uni life. But past girlfriends may attest that I find it hard to sit still, so lying horizontal is truelly quite alien.


So before I write a next post about whats happening down on the Shanghai streets. I will give a brief description of the flat I live in.

As fore-mentioned it is my first flat I have lived in. It is on the 31st floor of a building which continually makes me feel like the boss. It is not the top unfortunately though, the guys one floor above us and holding top dog position are two Germans who held one hell of a flat party a few weeks back. They have a balcony, but pay 1000 extra remnimbi a month for that privelege.

Back to our flat, you walk into a big living room, dining table on the right, at the far end opposite you is the view looking out. Picture below:



Flatmate Sean's bedroom looks out to this, there are cupboards in his room which have a real rich glow to them. My bedroom is left of the entrance doorway, again plenty of cupboard space and a balcony/portal to put clothes is very nicely linked to the room.
The kitchen which has two working stoves, again plenty of cupboards, a sink and fridge is opposite my bedroom doorway. Unfortunately no oven though :(. While the bathroom, which has a toilet (Western-best to clarify) and everything else you'd find in a bathroom including a fan which will probably come of use in the summer.

Best buy: either the couch, bought it the day we moved in from a guy we found on greggslist for 500 remnimbi. its very comfortable and has great presence.

We have a cleaner who comes on a Tuesday. I used very broken Chinese to ask for one a few weeks back, so was very surprised when she just turned up one day. They come with no cleaning equipment so kind of just use what you have, like hand towels to clean the floor. She does a good job. Unfortunately she speaks no English at all so I struggle to tell her. Quite funny she turns down coffee but will have beer whilst working.

The apartment is situated in the 'Brilliant City'. A complex of about 100? other high rise apartment blocks that kind of sit around this man made lake which is well lit. I find the Chinese when building these massive blocks try very hard to make it feel like you are out of the city, so you will see tropical trees and nice pathways at the base of these massive buildings. A nice touch I find.

The place I live in its not quite whole address is Apartment 3104, Block 38, No 100, Zhongtan Road, Shanghai. Not sure of the post code. Rent is 2600 a month, which is about £260. Not bad.

We're yet to find a local pub atm so we are trekking a few stops to Ellen's atm a real studenty cheap bar. Other than that I'm very happy in the current location!






No comments:

Post a Comment