Saturday 17 November 2012

16. Eye-care city

It was about 40 hours before I left the flat for the first time well in forty hours.
I think about 20 of those hours were spent watching Seinfeld, such a good show, while my lesson planning consisted of about 20 minutes, no doubt it'll be a late night tonight! SeinfeldLad.

Not much had changed but I had a new mindset to explore. With my explorer cap on, I felt aggrieved I had never travelled east from our blocks so I headed in this direction to amend this travesty.

East of us is the main Shanghai Railway station, I had to go cross the train tracks standing in the way of me and the station, I did this via an underpass. An underpass they always seem to give you the creeps. This one was very dimly lit with an orange glow lighting up a few stalls. The stalls included fake phones, MP3's and a host of old clothes spilled out on the floor like a jumble sale. It was a very bizarre underpass. There were people on moped bikes who used it, as well as sleepers and possibly poo-ers  from the smell in one corner.

I arose and breathed the still polluted Shanghai air. I headed in the direction of a grand looking Holiday Inn, honestly from Snoop Dogg's hit track I would of thought this company was more downmarket of the hotels but these places stand out very nicely in China. It was situated by the station which I decided to check out in mind of future trips to nearby Suzhou and Hangzhou.

The station despite being the main one wasn't really all that which surprised me a lot. The Honguio one I took to Beijing was much much nicer. So I left soon after entering the ticket office.

Outside there was this elevator sitting adjacent by the ticket office entrance which was taking people to Eye-care city. Eye-Care city. What the hell, for me this might as well be Narnia. For the first time I got ina lift with other people and felt a sense of unity rather than that common feeling of distaste to get away from this person as soon as possible! The doors opened again and we entered into a land of fellow four-eyed people. I felt like I was in a secret club.

Whereever I looked there were 100's of opticians willing to do you a set of glasses in little under 15 minutes. Some of the frames as well were out of this world, I could have really gone totally wild with my selection. An absolute far-cry from Mathesons in Alresford where they stock about one or two brands! Yeah I said it Mathesons!

I'd actually been wanting to buy some glasses, my current Specsaver (I'd disowned Mathesons when up in York) brand were getting a little old. So I got some new ones, they cost me £40 and she even asked me for my age, cheeky.

I'm not totally used to them atm, and i'm sure they looked better in the shop. Maybe they had special mirrors or something but yes here I am all specced up.



Geeks Unite!

No comments:

Post a Comment